i remember the day's of a frenzy barb in vanilla d3 somewhere to the point when people discovered into the frey, and ww barb became the
undisputed build of the game. never the less, since that time i've always wanted to play the frenzy barb again, i just enjoy the hack n' slash ^)
there's a chance that this kind of build is playable now, so i think i'm gonna try it. i'm not that interested in competing for leaderboards,but i do want to make something out of it, maybe around gr 70-ish?
10 stacks of frenzy would give us 50% movespeed and 25% increased damage for 4 seconds, which isn't long, but the stackes would renew
i'm not strong with the breakpoint's numbers, but since the attack speed is over the roof, i just thought to cap it at 5 attacks per second.
with 10 stacks of frenzy due the "bastion's revered", 50% from oathkeeper, 30% from "hunter's wrath", 15% from dualwielding, 25% from WotB,- we would get 4.81 aps, and require 15% more to get to 5.0050. since we can only get 5% off of paragons, we would need 2 item's with this affix.
andy\mempo and a ring would do the trick. this kind of attack speed with stricken should melt the RG quite fast.
these calculation's are done for base weapon attack speed = 1.3
however, if there are no breakpoint's involved (not sure about this), then i would swap the offhand for a stormshield, with the renewed "Sword and Board" passive. this would give a great boost in survivability, trading 130% cdmg and 15% aspd for 10% cch + 30% melee reduction and 30% flat dmg reduction.
the build in my mind is very strong vs single target, yet lacking aoe damage, so i put in rend with the chilling effect for an overall damage increase and some aoe damage. also i guess the area damage property should be sought out and be at least at 100%+ (propably on both weapons + shoulders + paragon)
we would need to get just enough cdr on gear to get ground stomp to 8 seconds cd so we can constantly proc the "Band of Might" ability - After using Furious Charge, Ground Stomp, or Leap, gain 50-60% damage reduction for 8 seconds. didn't do the math on this, but a would imagine it's around 3-4 pieces of gear.
overall i would try to get lot's of all resist wherever we can, and put diamonds in our sockets. since the build focuses on standing and swinging,- we're gonna take a lot of hit's.
so the item's:
1. helm - i would go with andy, due it's overall best damage output out of all the headgear.
2. shoulder's - couldn't find any that would something meaningfull for this build, so i guess any pair with nice roll's will do.
3. amulet - i would prefer hellfire with superstition or broad and sword in the case of dropping dualwielding.
don't know if anyone has done the math on what is better: superstition or the eye of etlich passive, the winner should go this slot imo.
the ess of johan should go really well in this build, but i don't really know the number's of the proc coefficiency, thus this is debatable.
4. torso - the renewed "aquila cuirass", since we are alway's at max fury.
5. wrists - Vambraces of Sescheron with the "Primary skills heal you for 5-6% of your missing Life" passive.or the strongarm bracers - since we would use ground stomp.
6. gloves - frostburn for the freeze effect and cold damage increase.an alternative would be magefist, in case of a fire build.
7. belt - we need to use 2 legendary affixes from belt's - "hunters wrath" and "undesputed champion". one we cube, one we wear.
8. pants - depthdigger's. no way around them.
9. boot's - ice climber's. since there aren't really any boot's that would do anything meaningfull - being immune to freeze and jailer is the logical choice.
10,11. Litany of the Undaunted and The Wailing Host, which are the core of this build.
12. mainhand weapon - oathkeeper. best overall damage boost with 50% attack speed and 200% damage
13. offhand - i would prefer sunkeeper for the elite damage boost, since we have 0 in this build.
second choice would be azurewrath for the cold damage boost + freeze chance + the legendary power, which should proc strongarm bracers.
third choice would be The Burning Axe of Sankis, for the elemental damage and that "ignore pain". don't know much about the number's behind
axe's legendary power, but i guess it's an option. with the axe we would have to use magefist over frostburn.
and our fourth choice would be stormshield
in the cube we would need 3 specific item's
1. bastion's revered. - we get overall 10 frenzy stacks.
3. band of might. + 60% damage reduction after useing ground stomp.
legendary gem's of choice
1. bane of the trapped. - flat damage multiplier.
2. bane of the stricken. with our attack speed, this gets out of control real quick.
3. mirinae - if the damage proc would scale off of LoN, then imo those would be some big number's.
simplicity's strength might be a better choice over mirinae, for some more healing, and in the case of strongarm's - our only healing.
1. frenzy - sidearm. would be our main damage dealer.
2. rend - mutilate. would help with some aoe damage, and also give a 10% damage output bump.
3. warcry - impunity. would boost defenses
4. battlecry - bloodshed. would give frenzy a bit more aoe damage
5. WotB - insanity. would help with elite's
6. groundstomp - wrenching smash. would be the main utility skil. every fight should be started with it,- we would pull the mobs together + stun them for 4 seconds + get a 60% damage reduction for 8 seconds + in the case strongarms - 30% damage bonus for 5 seconds.
i'm not really sure about rend here, but i don't see viable alternative's, so i'm open to suggestion's
overall we would get:
100 + 200 + 60 = 360% additive damage from depth digger's, oathkeeper, and hunter's wrath
25% more damage from frenzy
10% more damage from battle cry
50% more damage from WotB
1300% (1100%?) more damage from LoN
(how do the previous 4 behave with each other?)
20 + 20 = 40% cold damage from frostburn and andy's
the build would give us 60% flat dmg reduction from the cubed band ofmight, 50% from aquila, and 52% from LoN with 13 (or 11? do the ring's
themselves count?) ancient pieces of gear. with stormshield that's another 30% flat + 30% melee. so quite tanky
need some help with:
1. what are the number's behind the burning axe of sankis's legendarypower? proc coefficiency \ how much dmg reduction \ uptime \ internal cd
2. who would win the battle: superstition or eye of etlich passive?
3. are there any breakpoint's regarding frenzy's attack speed?
4. what are the number's behind the ess of johan's legendary power? proc coefficiency with frenzy? internal cd?
5. does mirinae's scale off of LoN\WotB\battlecry etc.? same question for andy's legendary power.
6. does the LoN bonus include the ring's themselves? 13 or 11 items.
7. can barbarian's loot\drop hunter's wrath? never got one in S4.
8. are rend's 10%, bane of the trapped, strongarm's all sepparate multiplier's?
9. are LoN \ WotB \ battle cry \ frenzy - sepparate multiplier's? or do they add to each other and then multiply frenzy's damage with it's additive's.
looking for overall opinion's and suggestion's.
ty for your attention.
P.S. i'm guessing a similer build with weapon throw and\or bash woulddo significantly less damage. am i wrong? would be nice to bash some mobs
I did some theorycrafting a while ago on a frenzy build... Have done since ever since Vanilla... but this time around seems like it finally has a chance with legacy of nightmares....
Since I don't have much time to play diablo, I theorycrafted and made a quick simulation to compare 2 gems: bane of the trapped and mirinae.
The idea, as in the OP's post, is to use mirinae on a mob with a lot of stacks of stricken. The source of AOE is berserker's rage.
The following simulations share the same setup:
APS = 3
BASE dmg = 1
Mobs killed: 3 mobs with 3000 life, 17 mobs with 1000 life. (typical blue pack)
Bane of the stricken is equipped.
Crit chance = 0.5,
Crit hit dmg = +300%
The strategy is to focus the mob with the highest amount of life remaining. (this can be improved but will not change the results much).
Here are the results: Mirinae halves our *time to kill*, compared to bane of the trapped. That is, you will kill the pack twice faster with mirinae than you would with bane of the trapped! Both gems are level 50 in this simulation.
Top graph: mirinae. We kill the pack in 600 hits (=200 sec with 3 attacks per second). We accumulate our stacks of bane of the stricken on the blue mobs (the lines on the top). The white mobs get killed by the random mirinae hits and by the AOE when we crit. Once the white mobs are killed, there is a higher chance of a mirinae proc on a mob with a high stack of trapped, resulting in big drop in the mobs life. (the average slope is way steeper).
Bottom graph: bane of the trapped. We again focus on the mob with the biggest remaining life. This is clearly a disappointing result. The white pack is dying as a result of the AOE from the crits on the blue guys.
Same as above, but the pack is yellow: yellow mob has 6k life, his minions have 2k, and other white mobs have 1k.
The time to kill is pretty much the same as a blue pack. But for bane of the trapped, it is even slower!
Finally, let's do the same simulations with base dmg of 0: we ignore the dmg done by frenzy, we only take into account mirinae procs:
With only mirinae, we take only about 3 more time to kill!
--> mirinae seems to be the most powerful gem for our frenzy barb.